Sunday, August 10, 2008

John Edwards' Political Career - R.I.P., 2008

I'm sure by now that the Internet is rife with pundits and bloggers sounding off about the extramarital affair that John Edwards had with one of his videographers in 2006, so I need not waste much time discussing how unfortunate an act this was, for both the man and for what he used to stand for in American politics. (All I can add are my deepest sympathies for my lovely B&B hostess in New Hampshire who, in late 2007, became so smitten with Edwards and his message after he held a get-together at her house that she actually decided to pay attention to politics for the first time in her life. That's gotta be one hell of a comedown.)

However, as the hour grows late, my eyelids grow heavy, and NBC's Olympics coverage lapses into reruns that are still labeled "LIVE" for some odd reason, I'd like to add the following two-pence on the Edwards topic by referencing a clip from the AP newswire:
Former campaign manager David Bonior said he was one of the thousands of friends and supporters that Edwards betrayed, and he shuddered when thinking about what might have happened had Edwards beaten Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama in the party's primaries.

"You can't lie in politics and expect to have people's confidence," he said.
My response: see Presidential Election, United States of America, 2004; results of.

No comments: