Thursday, August 26, 2010

I Do Not Need to Explain My Absence

Many events have transpired on or near the surface of the earth since I lasted posted. Most oddly, I've received 38+ comments (apparently authored by an army of Chinese webbots) on my previous post, for reasons I can barely fathom, even with a #2 pencil lodged in my skull. But, prehaps most significantly, I've become a homeowner. This quintessential part of The American Dream, which is not very easily realized (if at all) here in the Great Concrete Desert of the Northeastern United States, also happens to be a lot of work. Things break and need to be fixed. Other things need to be blown up and rebuilt, because they weren't the way you wanted them. And, of course, everyone wants a rocket-house.

"O Lord, bless this rocket-house and all who may dwell within the rocket-house." -- Homer Simpson

However ruinous the trials of homeownership (not to mention the mortgage-brokering and refinancing process, especially when people who never passed Remedial Counting are involved) may or may have not been thus far, they are not the reason why I have been absent for something like a year. Indeed, as Occham's Razor (the only Unified Theory of Everything you need) would have it, the reason is far simpler: I'm lazy. And highly prone to distraction, aimless ambling, and the drunken-man's tendency to inevitably fall into vat of carbolic acid.

OMG. I just saw a trailer for The Social Network, which should be all counts be a hilariously god-awful movie (a la Tokyo Drift), but this particular trailer is actually very well-done, strangely moving, and unexpectedly (unintentionally?) meaningful.

http://www.sonypictures.com/previews/movies/thesocialnetwork/clips/2300/

Set against a haunting, choral rendition of Radiohead's "Creep," what you see for the first minute doesn't resemble a movie trailer at all, but rather a series of all-too-familiar images, phrases, and clicks... And by the end of this minute, as the trailer loses its disguise, you start to wonder, within the contemplative, introspective realm that the song lyrics conjure up: "Has this been my life for the last six years? Has this been all of our lives for the last six years? What motives drive us to spend so much time doing this?" (Alas, I doubt that these are the questions about which this flick concerns itself.)

Anyway, I'm back. For now, at least. More to come. Theoretically.

No comments: